Saturday, September 18, 2010

Bellies, Sickness, Roosters, and other things

Let's start out with the first topic of Bellies! I had thought that since this is my last pregnancy I wanted to do some stuff that I didn't do the first time around. I thought that having my belly painted would be fun and the one person I would want to do it would be Amber. Amber is a good friend of mine from when we were little who is really artistic and very talented! She is also a great face painter and I figured that she would come up with some cool design to do. She came over on a Sunday and painted my big belly! She did an AMAZING job and I was very happy with the results and it was nice catching up with her. Below are some of the pictures from that day.







I also got some maternity photos taken by my friend Ashley. She took some great shots that I was really happy about. Her company is Love Always Photography and her website is www.lovealwaysphoto.com You can go to her Facebook page and see some of the pictures.

Next topic: Sickness :(!
I had been feeling like I was catching a cold, but with some Emergen-C I was able to hold the cold off...or at least I thought so. I ended up getting sick, but it was my first cold of the year! Not too bad and it was tolerable for me. The unfortunate one was Nathan. He had a fever for about four days that would not break! We were keeping him dosed up on Tylenol and Motrin, keeping his clothes off, and making sure that he wasn't doing anything to make himself more hot. We were completely puzzled by this fever because he was acting normal and eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping normally. His temperature at some points would go up to 104 and I was very nervous of him having another febrile seizure; luckily, that did not happen! After four days his fever finally broke and then he got a rash on his back, chest, neck, and face (see the pictures below). We did some research and talked to our Pediatrician and Nathan had Roseola. Not sure where he got it from, but all of the symptoms were exactly what he had. During this whole week Nathan was the grumpiest I have ever seen him! He was not a joy to be around and both Christopher and I were really hoping that this wasn't a new aspect of his personality! Thank goodness he has started to be less grumpy and return to his normal self because I don't think that I could handle a grumpy Nathan with a new baby!





This doesn't have to do with being sick, but Christopher made Nathan his very own big-boy fort bed! He got the idea from Knock-Off Wood and made it all himself for about half the price that Ikea sells it for! Nathan loves his new bed and likes to go and just hang out in it...oh, I forgot to mention that our "boarder" Amber moved out and we finally moved Nathan into his own room! He really likes having his own room and so do we! We have some other plans of what we want to make and do for Nathan's room and hopefully some of them will get done before baby #2 comes!

Roosters:
About 15 weeks ago I had ordered 8 female baby chicks. I paid a little extra to have them sexed and was told that there was a 90% guarantee that they would be sexed correctly. Out of the eight chicks I gave three to my friend Rhonda and then we kept the other five. Rhonda discovered that she had a rooster when it was about 10-11 weeks old. Her chicken started crowing and there was no mistaking that it was a rooster. We felt bad and were glad that we didn't have a rooster...Fast forward a few weeks and I notice that one of our hens is looking very rooster like. She has a big comb and waddle that is bright red, the shape of her feathers are starting to look like roosters' feathers, and she is much bigger than the other chickens. I am not a chicken sexing expert so I was doing a lot of searching on the internet to see if it could be a rooster. I was about 80% sure that we had a rooster, but I was still holding out hope that we just had a masculine hen. Then about a week ago our "hen" started crowing and we knew for sure that we had a rooster :(. The crowing continued every day and it would start at about 6:30 in the morning. The rooster was also getting better at crowing (louder and longer). We knew that we had to get rid of him fast! We placed an ad on Craigslist and called around to see if anyone could take a rooster and we didn't get any good news. We looked into having him butchered, but it looked like we would have to do that ourselves, which we didn't want to do. Finally, on our very last attempt we called a feed store and they said that they couldn't take him, but to try their sister store. We called them and they could take him!!!! Christopher took our dear Shadow to the store, where hopefully he will have a nice new home soon! Now we just have to wait 3-5 more weeks to get some eggs and hope that no other hen turns out to be a rooster!

Lastly, I wrote the above post awhile back, but it took me a little bit longer than I expected to upload some photos, so more has happened since then.

Nathan and Christopher went to "Indianana" for a wedding. That is how Nathan pronounces it. They were gone for four days and although I missed them it was so nice to have that time off and to myself! They had a ton of fun and got to see family that they haven't seen in a really long time.

I am 10 days away from my due date and I am thinking that I will be having the baby around my due date. I have everything ready to go for the birth and now it is just the wait, which I don't mind! Christopher and I have not agreed on any names and I have a feeling that this baby will be called Baby Aedo for at least a couple of days. If you have not done our baby pool you should! It closes this Wednesday. Go to Our Baby Pool and put in your guess!

That is about it for now. The next post should be the introduction of our newest family member :)

-Heather

No comments: