Assembling the cardboard part was really easy and took no time at all. The next part, the fringe, was where I experienced the challenge! First, I didn't get the kind of crepe paper she recommends. I just used green tissue paper that I found on sale. It would have to work for me. Cutting fringe takes A. LONG. TIME! Luckily, I had my super birthday helper that wanted to cut the fringe.
This pinata took a lot longer to make than I thought it was going to take. The fringe alone was a half day project. And by half day I was really working on it the whole time with little breaks. I think that it was all worth it because the finished product looked awesome!
|It looked even more awesome in person|
|Watch out for those teeth!|
Now came the time for it to be destroyed :(. It was a little sad to know that kids would pound on this and break it after all of the hard work that Nathan and I put into it.
Luckily, it made it through all the kids but one. Where it ended up breaking was at the top and that was because I didn't think about a great rigging system for how to hang it, so the top wasn't the strongest. Just a small chunk fell off. The pinata hardly got any damage at all on the sides of it. The cardboard did a great job. Oh, and we also used this lightweight plastic bat. One the kids wanted to keep the pinata and I was going to let him, but Christopher said that we should keep it and use it again. Excellent idea!
Mr. Alligator pinata will be making another appearance in a year or so at a future birthday party for Anderson. Hopefully, he will still be holding up well. I'm sure that I'll also reinforce some areas with duct tape :]!
More birthday pictures soon!